2014 Dirty Dozen List: Facebook
Why is Facebook on the Dirty Dozen List?
The world’s most popular social networking site has become a top place to trade pornography, which we have reported on numerous occasions. According to reports, even child pornography is regularly shared on Facebook and women and children are prostituted and trafficked on the site. While Facebook policy prohibits “pornographic content” they do not devote sufficient resources to effectively police their site. Rather, Facebook seems to rely on users to do this work and then they often take days to remove the content. Facebook has the resources to develop better detection tools, yet they have not made this a priority. With your help, we hope to change their corporate mind.
Proof of Facebook’s Relaxed Efforts to Stop Porn, Child Porn & Trafficking on its Site
- Investigative Report: KIDS RAPED, SODOMIZED ON FACEBOOK PAGES
- Investigative Report: CAN FACEBOOK’S CHILD-PORN EXPLOSION BE STOPPED?
- Huffington Post: “Facebook Child Porn Pages: Shocking Groups Reportedly Uncovered on Social Network (UPDATE)”
- Screenshots: WARNING: These are graphic. Please do not view if you do not want to see disturbing images. The pornography has been blocked out.
- Personal Account: Dawn Hawkins, Executive Director of MIM
- News Article: Groundswell grows against pornographic Facebook pages
- Child porn video gets 4,000 likes, 20,000 views on Facebook; takes Facebook 8 hours to remove
Federal obscenity laws, which the U.S. Department of Justice refuses to currently enforce, prohibit distribution of hardcore, obscene pornography on the Internet, on cable/satellite or hotel/motel TV and in sexually oriented businesses and other retail shops. (Learn more)
- 18 U.S.C. 1462 Importation or use of a common carrier to transport obscene matter
- 18 U.S.C. 1465 Interstate transportation of obscene matter
Sections 1462 and 1465 cited above also prohibit distribution of obscenity on the Internet.
Take Action Now
- Sign this Petition to Facebook
- Ask Congress and Law Enforcement to help pressure Facebook
- Tweet Facebook
Use this tweet: @Facebook please improve your efforts to stop #porn #childporn #trafficking on your site! #dirtydozen #pornharms
- Share Your Story
All stories will be shared anonymously. Click to here to submit.
- Contact Facebook
- Facebook Corporate address:
Facebook Corporate Office and Headquarters
c/o Mark Zuckerberg
1601 Willow Road
Menlo Park, CA 94025
- Distribute this handout to your friends and family and ask them to get involved.
DON’T FORGET TO HELP IN THESE WAYS TOO:
- Monitor your children’s use of the popular site. Regularly have conversations with them about possible content they might encounter and about Internet safety;
- Report pornography and other questionable content to the proper authorities. Please do not seek to police the site on your own, but if you stumble across such content, report it to Facebook, The Cyber Tipline and your local FBI office;
- Make sure your friends and family are aware of the dangers on Facebook and take action to protect against them. Encourage their involvement in this petition to Facebook.