Reddit, known as the “front page of the Internet,” has become a hub of exploitation where sex buyers and other sexual predators meet to exchange non-consensually shared intimate images, hardcore pornography, and to give advice to each other about how to use and abuse. Prostitution, sex trafficking, and child sexual abuse material is also easily found on the site because Reddit refuses to institute strong policies and, despite being worth $6 billion, refuses to spend money on moderators and technology solutions to reduce sexual abuse and exploitation material surfacing on their site.
It’s time Reddit was made accountable. Take Action Below!
The Reddit User agreement says nothing about explicit or adult content. On paper, Reddit does prohibit “sexual or suggestive content involving minors,” but they only sometimes enforce the rule by threatening to ban Reddit communities, adding restrictions, or removing content. They do not ban members engaged in posting such material or stop them from signing up for another account.
How Reddit Works
- Users form online communities, knowns as subreddits, to share ideas, post photos and videos, discuss breaking news, and vote on content posted by other users
- The website is also known for its discussion forums, including its popular “Ask Me Anything” format, which presents online forums with celebrities and politicians
- Users submit posts that other users ‘upvote’ or ‘downvote’ based on if they like it.
- If a post gets lots of upvotes it moves up the Reddit rankings so that more people can see it
- People use the site to chat about anything in “forums” or chatrooms.
- Unlike on other platforms, you can be anonymous, making it an alluring platform for people interested in exploring sexual taboos.
- You don’t need an account to access subreddits (chatrooms dedicated to a specific topic), including NSFW and kink-related ones.
- People can simply go to the website and type in the community of their choosing. To post, you can create an account using any username.”
- 52 million daily active users – up 44% YoY*
- 4 million posts – up 52.4% YoY
- 2 billion comments – up 6% YoY
- 2 billion upvotes – up 53.8% YoY
Share Your Story
It can be painful to share stories of sexual exploitation or harm, and sometimes it’s useful to focus on personal healing first. But for many, sharing their past or current experiences may be a restorative and liberating process. This is a place for those who want to express their story.