2014 Dirty Dozen List: Cosmopolitan Magazine
Why is Cosmo on the Dirty Dozen List?
This staple of the supermarket checkout line may be as pornographic as Playboy magazine, but without the pictures. This publication has steadily declined from a somewhat inspirational women’s magazine to a verbally pornographic “how-to” sex guide, further desensitizing young women and girls to the pornified culture around them. Recently, Cosmo has started to blatantly target young girls to expand their audience and increase profits. Many of their covers feature teen idols, meant to entice young girls into buying the magazine. Join us in the fight to get supermarkets and other family-oriented stores to put wrappers on Cosmo Magazine and to stop targeting it to children.
Proof of Cosmo’s Profit from Porn
- Anti-Cosmo Mission: Model Nicole Wieder has launched united efforts to get Cosmo sold in a nontransparent plastic bag where it’s made available to adults 18 and older so our youth won’t be subjected to this vulgar material.
- Victoria Hearst calls her family’s Cosmopolitan magazine ‘pornographic,’ joins campaign to get it brown bagged
- In the June, 2012 issue alone, here are some of the topics discussed: Orgasm, thrusting, G-Spot, penis, grinds, clitoris, lube, f-ing, animal-style, missionary, rubbing, butt, pelvis, doggie-style, enter me, push deep inside me, stimulation, rub my clit, friction, gyrate, bullet vibrator, turns me on, vagina, finish, foreplay, shallow thrusting, squeeze my PC muscles, nipples, climax, on top, legs wrapped around his waist, lick the sides of my fabric, tongue, swirling his tongue, orgasmic bliss, licks my clitoris, keep his finger in and twirl it around, strokes, tip of his member, hooking up, grind my lower body.
- This publication has steadily declined into a full-on pornographic “how to” guide for teens and vulnerable young girls. Every issue dares girls and encourages them to try new sex moves (including anal sex), engage in threesomes, experiment with lesbianism, have public sex, watch porn (with specific URLS listed- October 2011 issue) and using sex toys such as dildos, shower heads, and vibrating tongue rings to “please your man and stimulate your clitoris.”This readily available magazine has become one of the media’s worst influences on girls.
Federal obscenity laws, which the U.S. Department of Justice refuses to currently enforce, prohibit distribution of hardcore, obscene pornography on the Internet, on cable/satellite or hotel/motel TV and in sexually oriented businesses and other retail shops. (Learn more)
- 18 U.S.C. 1461 Mailing obscene matter
- 18 U.S.C. 1462 Importation or use of a common carrier to transport obscene matter
- 18 U.S.C. 1465 Interstate transportation of obscene matter
- 18 U.S.C. 1466 Wholesale and retail sale of obscene matter which has been transported in interstate commerce
Take Action Now
- Contact Cosmo editors & Investors
- Contact Supermarkets & Other Cosmo Retailers
- Tweet Cosmo
- Tweet Cosmo Executives OR
- Use this tweet: @Cosmo stop passing #porn off as harmless and targeting young #girls with your #pornmag #dirtydozen #pornharms
- Share Your Story
What have you seen in Cosmo? How have you been affected? Tell your story here.
- Contact Cosmo
- Cosmopolitan Corporate address:
c/o Joanna Coles
300 West 57th Street
New York, NY 10019-3299
- Distribute this handout to your friends and family and ask them to get involved.
DON’T FORGET TO HELP IN THESE WAYS TOO:
- Regularly have conversations with your kids about possible content they might encounter;
- Make sure your friends and family are aware of these issues. Encourage their involvement in opposing this stuff.