2013 Dirty Dozen: Barnes and Noble
Barnes & Noble
This Fortune 500 company, operator of 689 retail bookstores and a very active website, is a major supplier of adult pornography and child erotica. Nearly two dozen porn magazines are currently for sale at one store we randomly checked. In addition, the company sells a variety of sexually explicit photography books, such as those by Jock Sturges and David Hamilton, that are often found in the collections of pedophiles because they contain sexually arousing photographs of children.
Proof of Barnes & Noble’s Profit from Porn & Obscenity
The pictures below are from the Barnes & Noble store in Washington, DC:
Barnes & Noble has sold child erotica for years. Despite the fact that these books by David Hamilton and Jock Sturges have been found in the possession of many pedophiles over the years, B&N refuses to stop selling them. Here is a list of such books (WARNING: there is some nudity on this page and possible triggers)
Chicago Tribune: “Porn or art? Barnes & Noble was indicted on child…” – Alabama case against B&N for child porn/child erotica
Contact Barnes & Noble
Other Possible Action Items
- Live chat with B&N here—send us a record of your chat!
- Complain to the manager of your local B&N (they’ll send it up to the top). Point out where they have content and how easy it is for children to access it. Demand they move the material. Follow up with them and encourage some of your friends to join you or make separate complaints.
- Call the B&N and file a formal complaint. They will definitely respond and you can continue your complaints. 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665)
- Write B&N a letter – Mr. William Lynch / Barnes & Noble Corporate Office & HQ / 122 Fifth Avenue / New York, NY 10011
- Tell your family and friends about Barnes and Nobles’ involvement in pornography. Encourage them to join these efforts and to complain to the manager when they visit their local B&N
Federal obscenity laws, which the U.S. Department of Justice refuses to currently enforce, prohibit distribution of hardcore, obscene pornography on the Internet, on cable/satellite or hotel/motel TV and in sexually oriented businesses and other retail shops. (Learn more)
- 18 U.S.C. 1461 Mailing obscene matter
- 18 U.S.C. 1465 Interstate transportation of obscene matter
- 18 U.S.C. 1466 Wholesale and retail sale of obscene matter which has been transported in interstate