2013 Dirty Dozen: Lodgenet
Lodgenet Interactive Corporation
This is the company that provides most of the in-room TV pornography to major hotels and motels. Despite the federal and many state laws, which prohibit obscene materials on cable and satellite TV, LodgetNet has made untold millions by providing hardcore pornography to its customers. Children have also been exposed to this material.
Proof of Lodgenet’s Profit from Porn & Obscenity
Fox Business: “No Porn, No Problem, Says LodgeNet”
Princeton’s Witherspoon Institute: “Pornography, Respect and Responsibility: A letter to the hotel industry“
CleanHotels.com — CleanHotels.com is a network of lodging facilities that do not offer in-room, ‘adult’, pay-per-view movies.
Other Possible Action Items
- When you stay at a hotel, make sure you tell them at the check-in desk or on the phone before your arrival that you want them to disable the pornography and remove it from your TV. (THEY CAN DO THIS!)
- Call LodgeNet– 1-888-LODGENET (563-4363)
- Write LodgeNet Hotels a letter – Richard Battista, President and CEO, LodgeNet Interactive Corporation / 3900 West Innovation Street / Sioux Falls, SD 57107
- Tell your family and friends about existing obscenity laws and encourage their involvement in reaching out to LodgeNet and hotels that offer pornography.
Federal obscenity laws, which the U.S. Department of Justice refuses to currently enforce, prohibit distribution of hardcore, obscene pornography on the Internet, on cable/satellite or hotel/motel TV and in sexually oriented businesses and other retail shops. (Learn more)
- 18 U.S.C. 1468 Distribution of obscene matter by cable or satellite TV