2014 Dirty Dozen List: Fifty Shades of Grey
Why is 50 Shades of Grey on the Dirty Dozen List?
The Fifty Shades of Gray series promotes torture as sexually gratifying and normalizes domestic violence, particularly violence against women. This type of material is cultivates a rape and sexual violence culture and is now permeating our society. With the popularity of this series, mainstream opinion-makers (like Oprah, the Today Show and Broadway) are telling the public (especially youth) that humiliation, degradation and torture in sex is normal and to just give it a try.
The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), published by the American Psychiatric Association, states that sadism and masochism are mental disorders, which should be dealt with on a professional psychiatric level.
We must oppose the continued promotion of BDSM in our society. We will go after all public leaders that propagate the lies that torture and violence are normal and healthy sexual templates.
Take Action Now
- Sign this pledge to help oppose the promotion of BDSM in our mainstream culture
- Take this quick, anonymous survey to help us build the campaigns. CLICK HERE
- Tell Your Story
Have you or someone you know been affected by the BDSM culture? All stories will be shared anonymously. Click to here to submit.
- Distribute this handout to your friends and family and ask them to get involved.
50+ Reasons Why 50 Shades Harms
- Website: “Fifty Shades of Grey” Harm – Violence Against Women, Mental, Emotional and Physical Abuse, Domestic Violence, Sadomasochism, etc
- Twitter User: No Sad
- Debate (Huffington Post): CHANGE MY MIND: Should Modern Women Feel Empowered by S&M Porn?
- Pinterest Board: 50 Shades is Abuse – BDSM Harms
- Peer-Reviewed Study Published in Journal of Women’s Health: “Double Crap!” Abuse and Harmed Identity in Fifty Shades of Grey
- Video (Poetry Performance): 50 Shades of Dismay
- Website: The Harms of Sadomasochism, Sadism, Masochism, Bondage, Discipline, Domination, Submission, BDSM, S&M, S/M, SM, “Fifty Shades of Grey,” etc.
- Twitter User: 50 Shades of Abuse
- Editorial (Christianity Magazine): Grey Areas: How explicit literature went mainstream
- Book: Against Sadomasochism: A Radical Feminist Analysis – By Diana E. Russell, Robin Ruth Linden
- Twitter List: Anti- 50 Shades of Grey
- Article (Forbes): Is 50 Shades Dangerous?
- Article (Melissa Farley): 10 Lies about Sadomasochism
- Blog Post (Sunsara Taylor): 50 Shade of Grey: Bad for Women! Bad for Sex!
- Twitter User: Feminist Shades of Grey
- Website: 50 Shades of Domestic Abuse
- Website: 50 Shades Is Abuse
- YouTube Channel: Say NO to Sadomasichism
- Editorial: Why are Women Devouring 50 Shades of Grey? (Gail Dines)
- Podcast: BDSM & Feminism – An interview with Kathleen Barry
- Facebook Page: 50 Shades Is Abuse
- Blog Post: Jennifer Armintrout: Another 50 Shades Domestic Violence PSA. Now with added author breakdown
- News Article: Man accused of raping nurse twice after ‘BDSM’ sex encounter ‘went wrong’
- Blog Post: 50 Shades of Subtlety
- News Video Clips: Brittany Kilgore Murder by Sadomasochism People by Torture
- Article: 50 Shades of Anti-Feminism
- Blog Post: 50 Shades of Domestic Violence (cites examples from the book)
- Editorial: Shades of Grey: Now what that BDSM has gone mainstream?
- Video Interview Debate: Logan Levkoff and Dr. Drew on Today Show
- Blog Post: My Open Letter to EL James
- News: Fifty Shades of Grey condemned as ‘manual for sexual torture’
- Video Interview: What’s Wrong with Sadomasochism? Pro-feminist Ben Barker explains the Harms of BDSM & the Kink Scene
- For Sale: Horrifying Products Based on Fifty Shades of Grey
- Vlog: 50 Shades of Messed Up
- Editorial: Groupon’s Latest “Deal?” Torture Porn
- Graphic: Cartoon “One Shade of Grey”
- Photos: Protest Posters in Retail Shops
- Article: What’s Wrong With ’50 Shades of Grey’: The difference between BDSM and what’s portrayed in ‘50 Shades of Grey.’
- Article: Dr. Drew: ’50 Shades of Grey’ pathological, poorly written
- Video: Debate on Broadside: Violence obscured in ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ (Gail Dines)
- Article: Is ‘50 Shades of Grey’ Glorifying Rape?
- Video Playlist: Personal BDSM & Sadomasochism experiences. Domestic abuse, etc.
- Photo: 50 Shades Is a Reminder of my abusive relationship re-packaged as a love story
- Blog Post: Fifty Shades of Grey – Adoration or Abuse
- Action Alert: Oprah’s Network Supporting BDSM Lifestyle
- News Article: Fifty Shades book burning call by abuse charity
- Video: Shocking Cruelty in Porn Exposed – Ex-Porn Star Danny Austin Interview with Antipornography.org
- Book: Big Porn Inc
- Blog Post: #LoveIs
- Vlog: 50 Shades of Ranting
- Article: Ben Barker: Anarchists and Torture Porn
- Video: How Porn Creates the John: Porn, Trafficking and the Social Construction
- Vlog: 50 Shades of Crap
- Photo: 50 Shades of Abuse Protest