Reddit, known as the “front page of the Internet,” has become a hub of exploitation where sex buyers and other sexual predators meet to exchange non-consensually shared intimate images, hardcore pornography, and to give advice to each other about how to use and abuse. Prostitution, sex trafficking, and child sexual abuse material is also easily found on the site because Reddit refuses to institute strong policies and, despite being worth $6 billion, refuses to spend money on moderators and technology solutions to reduce sexual abuse and exploitation material surfacing on their site.
The Reddit User agreement says nothing about explicit or adult content. On paper, Reddit does prohibit “sexual or suggestive content involving minors,” but they only sometimes enforce the rule by threatening to ban Reddit communities, adding restrictions, or removing content. They do not ban members engaged in posting such material or stop them from signing up for another account.
It’s time Reddit was made accountable. Take Action Below!
- Users form online communities, knowns as subreddits, to share ideas, post photos and videos, discuss breaking news, and vote on content posted by other users
- The website is also known for its discussion forums, including its popular “Ask Me Anything” format, which presents online forums with celebrities and politicians
- Users submit posts that other users ‘upvote’ or ‘downvote’ based on if they like it.
- If a post gets lots of upvotes it moves up the Reddit rankings so that more people can see it
- People use the site to chat about anything in “forums” or chatrooms.
- Unlike on other platforms, you can be anonymous, making it an alluring platform for people interested in exploring sexual taboos.
- You don’t need an account to access subreddits (chatrooms dedicated to a specific topic), including NSFW and kink-related ones.
- People can simply go to the website and type in the community of their choosing. To post, you can create an account using any username.”
- 52 million daily active users – up 44% YoY*
- 4 million posts – up 52.4% YoY
- 2 billion comments – up 6% YoY
- 2 billion upvotes – up 53.8% YoY
WARNING: There are graphic images and text descriptions shown in these sections.
Child Sexual Abuse Material
Nick Kristof states, "The problem goes far beyond one company. Indeed, a rival of Pornhub, XVideos, which arguably has even fewer scruples, may attract more visitors. Depictions of child abuse also appear on mainstream sites like Twitter, Reddit and Facebook. And Google supports the business models of companies that thrive on child molestation."
"No-one deserves to have their private photos leak and to be shown to the world and to be constantly reminded about it," she told BuzzFeed News.
Her TikTok username was a trending search on Pornhub, which hosted video slideshows of the images. One person even recreated the images in Minecraft.
Crypto Subreddit Mods Remove Post That Connects Kik to Child Porn (Rolling Stone: Sep 24, 2020)
“TikTok videos frequently end up on platforms like Pornhub and Reddit.”
“A number of these videos have been cross-posted to subreddits devoted to cataloguing attractive women on the platform.”
“The popularity of the trend among underage creators has sparked concern with members of the TikTok community, who are worried about minors being exploited on other platforms.”
“It is not uncommon for underage TikTokers’ images to appear on other platforms like Reddit without their consent. “This happens all the time, sadly,” @bloodbathbey0nd tells Rolling Stone, pointing out that underage TikTokers don’t often reveal their real ages on the platform, further complicating matters.”
Reddit hosts hundreds of subreddits that normalize incest. This comes in the comments of many posts, as well as in a number of pornography and written pornography-themed subreddits.
Non-consensually Recorded and/or Shared
Many subreddits are dedicated to posting stolen content from other platforms and sharing on Reddit without the consent of the individuals in the material. NCOSE researchers found at least 50 of these subreddits in January 2021.
Screenshots of non-consensually Shared content being leaked on Reddit:
Here are two examples, but NCOSE researchers easily found 100 in a day.
Reddit Hosts Girls Do Porn Videos and Doxing Despite Highly Documented Abuse (Vice: Dec 8, 2020)
“After a civil court judge ruled that the owners of Girls Do Porn were guilty of coercing 22 women into having sex on camera, Reddit still hosted communities that doxed the real names of women in the videos and reposted non-consensual imagery from Girls Do Porn.”
“In October 2019, a week after federal investigators charged Girls Do Porn with federal counts of sex trafficking, Reddit banned the biggest Girls Do Porn subreddit. But since then, more subreddits and user accounts have surfaced to repost videos and links to content.”
“Many of the women who were lied to by Girls Do Porn are still trying to regain control of their images and their lives, years later.”
How TikTok Teens Are Ending Up on Pornhub
"TikTok is home to many NSFW trends (see: the ubiquitous WAP dance), many of which are fun and sometimes empowering. Yet some of these fads have been embraced by the younger segments of TikTok’s user base, prompting concern among some members of the community, particularly considering that TikTok videos frequently end up on platforms like Pornhub and Reddit.
A number of these videos have been cross-posted to subreddits devoted to cataloguing attractive women on the platform (despite rules ostensibly preventing users from posting content featuring minors), some of which have hundreds of thousands of subscribers. Compilations of the videos featuring some underage creators have also been posted to YouTube. (YouTube did not respond to requests for comment.)"
Inside MollyBabes, the Shady Porn Site That Exploited Women on Ecstasy (The Daily Beast: May 24, 2020)
- “MollyBabes”, was a community Reddit dedicated to sharing images and videos of women having sex while high on MDMA, clearly not in a state to consent to having sex, or to having it filmed, or to having it uploaded to the Internet.
- The Reddit community was started in 2016 and became quickly very popular, but Reddit didn't shut it down until 2018 when pressure mounted to do so.
- After Reddit banned the subreddit, the runners of the subreddit created their own website, and that content was posted on Reddit’s platform, despite the banning of the subreddit
Pornography & Prostitution Abound
NCOSE researchers easily found hundreds of pornography and prostitution subreddits. Frequently, the posts encouraged people to pay money for more images or to arrange to meet in person. There is no doubt that child sexual abuse material abounds in these subreddits or that images of sex trafficked persons are included.
Due to the graphic nature of the descriptions & images found in this proof, we've compiled them into a PDF document that you can download here.
"Reddit is a haven for kinky people who've struggled to escape real-life discrimination and online censorship"
- Reddit is home to hundreds of NSFW and sexual kink communities that allow users to share experiences, ask for advice, and meet like-minded people in a non-judgmental space.
- As Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter have shut down "adult content," Reddit has become known as the most sex-positive mainstream social media platform.
- “EroticHypnosis is just one of the hundreds of kink-related forums on Reddit today. Others center around kinks like pet play, gang bang, Bondage, and furryfemdom for the furry community”
The Reddit User agreement says nothing about explicit or adult content
Reddit does prohibit “sexual or suggestive content involving minors," but only enforces the rule by threatening to ban Reddit communities, adding restrictions, or removing content.
24 hours after the United States Congress passed a landmark piece of legislation to combat online sex trafficking, with near-unanimous bipartisan support, the most significant legislative action in decades, major prostitution websites are going dark. They are doing this on their own! Of importance to me, includes a drastic change
Within 48 hours of the U.S. Senate’s passage of legislation combating online sex trafficking, several websites have shuttered their prostitution ads. The historic legislation passed the Senate in a landslide 97-2 vote on Wednesday. H.R. 1865 was a legislative package that combined the Allow States and Victims to Fight Online Sex Trafficking Act (FOSTA), sponsored
Our Vice President of Advocacy and Outreach Lisa L. Thompson joined EWTN News Nightly to discuss the biggest victory in the fight against online sex trafficking in decades, the Senate’s passage of FOSTA-SESTA. This legislation amends the Communications Decency Act to allow victims of online sex trafficking to hold the websites