No organization or corporation should profit from, or contribute to, sexual exploitation. Unfortunately, many mainstream companies and groups do just that. With an army of tens of thousands of activists (we hope you’ll be numbered among these), we are proven policy-changers with an innovative combination of strategies that hold executives accountable for their harmful policies by galvanizing public awareness and action.
It is only after Hilton executives were receiving 1,000 emails a week from activists through our campaigns that they agreed to meet and then subsequently change their policies to completely stop selling on-demand pornography in their hotels around the world. Likewise, Barnes and Noble, Comcast, American Apparel, and Carls Jr. all replied to activists when they took to Twitter in calling them out for their bad policies. Your voice really matters. Signing petitions, making calls, sending letters and emails, spreading awareness on social media — all are worth it and actually lead to real-world change.
So, please join us! While all of these actions are included elsewhere on our website on pages and in blogs giving more background information, we have tried to create a page that aggregates many actions in one place. You can take 5, 10, 15, or even 50 actions in just minutes right here!
Thank you for standing with us to create a world free from sexual exploitation.
Petition: Thank Walmart for Removing Cosmopolitan!
Check Your Local Walmart!
Walmart executives want to make sure their policy to keep Cosmopolitan out of their checkout aisles is properly enforced! If you see Cosmopolitan magazine in any Walmart checkout aisle, send a picture and the address of the store to us at email@example.com.
We will send these reports to Walmart and they will work to get it resolved!
Take The Pledge To Stand Against Sexual Exploiters
Share Graphics on Social Media
Verizon cares about its image on social media – so share these graphics and tag @Verizon to ask them to stop selling sexually exploitive content!
Share Graphics on Social Media
Share graphics on social media to raise awareness and call on HBO to change! Consider tagging @HBO in your post as well.
Learn About Parental Controls on Steam
By default, when a person sets up a Steam account they have full access to see advertisements for every kind of game, including those with sexual content, which puts the burden on families to avoid sexually exploitive material on Steam.
In addition to asking Steam to improve that current policy, you can learn about the existing parental controls to keep your child safe.
Parents: Learn iBooks Safety
We can walk you through the protections iBooks provides and what they don’t protect you from. Read here.
Pledge To Help Stop The Demand for Sex Trafficking
Tell The American Library Association To Stop Opposing Library Filters
Thank You Oracle For Opposing Online Sex Trafficking
Sign the Petition: Tell HBO to Stop Promoting Pornography, Sexual Violence and Prostitution via The Deuce
Email Amazon Executives to Improve Amazon Studio Content and Parental Controls
Tell Amazon: No More Erotic Child Nudity and Sex Trafficking “How To” Books
Tweet About Amazon!
Email Steam Executives
Google: Thank You Petition
Email iBooks and Apple Executives
Tweet at iBooks and Apple
Contacting companies on social media is a great way to get their attention, so please join with us in contacting iBooks on Twitter!
Sign the Petition to Boycott Fifty Shades Freed – Give to Women’s Shelters Instead!
How to Use Parental Controls for the Xbox 360
Prepare for Back to School
Send this packet of information to your local Parent Teacher Association:
Tweet at the Videogame Distributor
Tweet @steam_games to ask them to remove pornography and sexually exploitive videogames. Companies like this regularly monitor their Twitter accounts so this is a great way to reach out to them.
- Every parent needs to know that @steam_games is not a safe videogame store for their children.
- By selling House Party, @steam_games is normalizing Brock Turner-style rape
- Hey @steam_games, follow your own policies and stop selling pornographic House Party & Porno Studio Tycoon games!
- @steam_games is marketing pornographic/sexually coercive games to millions of children.
#CleanUpComcast Call Campaign
Call Comcast Executives Directly and tell them to stop profiting from Sexual Exploitation!
Dial these numbers for a few of their top executives:
- Chris Dunkeson, Vice President and General Manager, 2156651700
- Phil Miller, Vice President, Strategic Partnership Development, 2152867955
- James J Finnegan, Vice Chairman of Information Technology, 2156651700
Report back to us on the call at firstname.lastname@example.org
Check Your Local School’s Online Databases
Download the National Center on Sexual Exploitation’s action packet “The ABCs vs XXX: How to Ensure Your School’s Online Library Databases are Pornography Free.” This is a useful tool for any concerned parent or citizen who wants to protect children from being exposed to pornography and sexually graphic materials on school online resources.
Tell Congress to Pressure the DOJ to Enforce Obscenity Law
*This action is for US Citizens only.
Email Roku Executives
Contact EBSCO Executives
Check Your Local Schools for EBSCO Subcsriptions
How to check:
- Go to your local school’s main website and navigate to the library page
- You will likely see a link to “online databases” or “research materials” somewhere on the page (you might have to poke around for it) and then click on that section
- They usually have the databases they subscribe to listed right there. If you see an EBSCO product, please email us at email@example.com and provide the URL where you found this. Please include the school name, county and state in your email to us.
Join Our Safe Schools, Safe Libraries Project
A surprising number of schools and public libraries do not have pornography filtering software and a much larger number employ ineffective filtering software that children are bypassing to gain access to pornography. And even good filters do not work within the EBSCO databases subscribed to by your child’s schools.
Learn more about our Safe Schools, Safe Libraries Project here:
Thank Apple For Its Good Work
Contact Comcast Executives
Please forward any responses you get from Comcast to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Take Action: Email Twitter Executives
Email Executives from Cosmopolitan’s Parent Company
USE THIS GUIDE TO GET FILTERS IN YOUR SCHOOLS & LIBRARIES
It often just takes a few concerned citizens to simply ask for effective filters to be installed and the libraries and schools will do it! Please take on this project and lead the way in your neighborhood. Download the “Getting Started Packet” here.
Sign The Pledge
* The Pledge is for Individuals & Organization
Ask Hotels to Stop Facilitating Exploitive Events
Report Suspected Sex Trafficking
If you suspect sex trafficking, or human trafficking, report the tip to the National Human Trafficking Resource Center: 1 (888) 373-7888.
If you or someone you know is in immediate danger, please call 911.
join #icutcalvin on social media
Share your reasons you’re boycotting Calvin Klein with a picture or a post! Be sure to use the hashtag #icutcalvin. Feel free to send to us to share too! Email email@example.com
Email Snapchat Executives
Email HBO: Ask Them To Create a Policy Against Sexually Exploitive Shows
Speak Up at Hotels
If you are staying at a hotel that offers pornography, you can demand that they turn off these channels before you even go to the room. They do have the ability to remove!
This will clearly send the message that this is material that is not acceptable.
In addition, mention to them that many other hotels have recognized that it is not ok to profit from and facilitate sexual exploitation – Marriott, Omni, Drury, Hilton, Hyatt, Starwood, and InterContinental Hotels Group have all implemented no-porn policies.
Choose a Porn-Free Hotel
Hotels that we know don’t no longer sell or never sold pornography include: Omni Hotels & Resorts, Drury Hotel, Hilton Worldwide, Marriott Hotels
Hotels who have recently changed their policy and are working to change existing contracts include: InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) which includes brands such as Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn, Candlewood & more, Starwood Hotels which includes St. Regis, Westin, Sheraton & more, and Hyatt Hotels. Changed Policies Expected be fully implemented across all brands by end of 2016.
If you are unsure about a location you hope to reserve, we encourage you to call the hotel before booking and ask.
Thank Walmart For Removing Exploitive Photography Books
Spread Word on Social Media
Share this campaign all over! Graphics are in the tools section.
Use these prepared Tweets (Trigger Warning if you look at their feeds):
- @FoxyLadyInc @CowgirlsXpresso #bikinibaristas business is based on sexually exploiting women.
- Real men don’t go to @FoxyLadyInc @CowgirlsXpresso because they’re businesses based on treating women like sex objects #sexploitationfreecoffee
- @FoxyLadyInc @CowgirlsXpresso Please change your business strategy- just sell good #sexploitationfreecoffee, not women’s bodies!
Email Amnesty Leaders
Tweet this graphic to @Amnesty
Hashtags: #noamnestyforpimps, #noamnesty
File a Complaint
If you witnessed nudity, profanity or other indecent material on broadcast television, please do the following:
Email Verizon Executives
Send a TWEET to @TheJusticeDep
Click here or use this text:
We want @TheJusticeDept & @JeffSessions to enforce existing federal #obscenity laws! Stop giving pornographers a green light to break law. #EndExploitation http://dirtydozenlist.com
Print This Flyer
Print this flyer, cut it in half and leave it in front of the Cosmopolitan magazines in your local retail checkout lines or hand to a store manager.
If you can, snap a picture of the flyer on top of a Cosmo and post it on social media using hashtag #cosmoharmsminors
Protect Your Home
- Monitor your children’s use of the Internet and especially of social media platforms. Regularly have conversations with them about possible content they might encounter and about Internet safety.
- Use tools! Use built-in parental controls where possible; install filter and accountability software on connected devices; etc.
- Make sure your friends and family are aware of the dangers on Facebook and take action to protect against them. Encourage their involvement of these efforts to hold Facebook accountable for better enforcement of their policies.
- Visit our Parents Resource Center for more tips and updates!
Share your STORY
Personal stories help elected and business leaders to see the grave harm associated with this material and can be very helpful in getting them to change their policies. All will be shared anonymously. Please email your story to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other Ideas for Community Activism:
* Ask your community leaders to address these issues during WRAP. For example: Your church, school, library, etc.
* Ask your mayor to sign an official WRAP week declaration. (Surprisingly, they almost always sign it!)
* Ask 5 of your friends to take 10 actions on PornHarmsAction.com