The National Center on Sexual Exploitation (NCOSE) has gathered signatures and thank you notes to Sheriff Tom Dart for his efforts to combat Backpage, a website that advertises the sale of men, women, and children for sex. Many organizations dedicated to fighting against exploitation have taken part in this campaign in order to support Sherriff Dart.
Earlier this year, Sheriff Dart wrote to major credit card companies, MasterCard and Visa, asking them to cut ties with Backpage due to their “adult” section which regularly features ads for prostitutes, and even sex trafficking victims. As a result of his efforts, MasterCard and Visa no longer allow their credit cards to be used for these advertisements. This is a major victory for the movement!
As can be expected, Backpage soon retaliated against Sheriff Dart and began pouring resources into defending their facilitation of exploitation.
NCOSE wants Sheriff Dart to know that he is not alone. There is a strong network of supporters behind him, who share his goal to protect the most vulnerable in society.
Many supporters wrote encouraging notes to Sheriff Dart during the 2nd Annual Coalition to End Sexual Exploitation Summit, such as:
- “A man of strength and integrity, you are admired for your boldness. We support you for influencing your peers and protecting the weak.”
- “Thank you for doing the right thing. We stand with you.”
- “Thank you for your innovative and tireless work to fight this atrocity.”
- “Your leadership means the world to us, and to countless victims.”
- “Keep up the great advocacy! Outstanding work.”
- “Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!”
“The National Center on Sexual Exploitation thanks Sheriff Dart for his bold and dedicated leadership against sexploiters like Backpage.com,” said Dawn Hawkins, Executive Director of NCOSE.
NCOSE is demanding that Backpage stop the prostitution and sex trafficking activities on its website by eliminating their “adult” services page. To learn more about why Backpage is on NCOSE’s Dirty Dozen list go to: https://endsexualexploitation.org/backpage/